Winter Coats at Doodle Dogs - Made to Fit
Winter is here – time to bundle up our furry ones !
So, winter is officially here – and not only have we dug out our parkas, ski pants, winter boots, hats, etc .. is also time to treat our dogs with the same warmth and respect !
We at Doodle Dogs have various makes and styles of coats. Some of our known name brands are : Hurtta, Marcus, Ruffwear and Chilly Dogs. Not only do we carry coats, we also carry pants and head muffs (hats!). Pretty much anything to keep our four-legged wonders warm and ready to tackle those walks they (we) love to take !
That being said, not all coats are made for all dogs – and not all dogs will want to wear a coat. Have you ever seen those videos where a dog is “unwillingly” wearing either a coat, or even worse, some winter boots ? To us it is quite amusing – to them it is something totally different.
Time to go coat shopping – with the proper information !
Temperature – too cold .. or no ?
Depending on your dog’s breed and the temperature outside, your pooch may not need a winter coat. But, when the thermometer starts dipping below 45°F (7°C), it is time to look into a little jacket.
When looking at dogs with short hair or thin body frames, like Teckels, Chihuahuas or Greyhounds, they would most likely fair better with a winter coat as their bodies have more difficulty retaining body heat. Also, their skin CAN get wet, and they CAN get cold.
Dogs with long hair, like Huskies or Australian Shepherds, have a double-layer of fur. They fair very well in the winter months. The double-layer of fur allows them to hold onto their body heat. However, a coat would simply provide an extra feeling of warmth on a chilly cold day – and honestly, they look pretty cute too!
Senior dogs may also benefit from a winter coat – especially if they have any health issues. This also applies to dogs with a thick or double-layer of fur. Their health condition dictates their heat regulation capabilities and could make for a very unpleasant walk if they are cold.
*** *** ***
Here are some of our coats and a brief description of each to help you better identify which coat may be the best “fit” for your furry friend :
The Extreme Warmer or the Extreme Warmer 2 ECO:
Never stress about your dog freezing in the cold !
- Polyester and inner foil liner retains heat while still being breathable
- Outer layer = water resistant !
- Easy to adjust in the back with its drawstring design
- Tails wag freely and clip belt in the middle to keep coat snug
- 3M reflective material on front and back (night safety at it’s best!)
- Built-in snood (to protect those sensitive ears)
- Some models have a ring attached to the jacket to connect the leash to the harness or collar
- Available in variety of sizes and colors
This coat is not only hand-made and beautiful but made in Quebec!
- Detachable hood
- Fleece lined
- Thick faux fur trim
- Vegan leather !!
- Available in 6 colors and sizes range from 3XS to 4XL
The Ruffwear Powder Hound™ is a hybrid jacket that offers the warmth of synthetic insulation with the range of motion of technical stretch fabric. This weather resistant and insulated jacket is ideal for cold-weather activities.
- Formfitting with sleeves and a zippered closure for core heat retention
- Shell fabric with DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish sheds light moisture
- High-loft recycled polyester insulated upper panel provides warmth
- 30D polyester lining
- Four-way stretch sleeves and lower panel offer full range of motion
- Reflective trim for visibility in low-light conditions and light loop for attaching The Beacon
Also checkout the Stumptown, Climate Changer and Fernie jackets - all by Ruffwear
And last, but not least – Chilly Dogs® !
Function and flare ! These coats were designed all while keeping the same high standards used on our own outdoor clothing.
- Made in Ottawa, Ontario – a Canadian company !
- American fleece and materials
- Fits all breeds from Chihuahuas to Great Danes
- Especially good for deep chested breeds like the Doberman, Pit Bull and Weimaraner.
- Speciality sizes to fit the unique long and lean body types of Greyhounds, Whippets, Mini Dachshunds, etc ..
- Available in 5 colors and sizes range from 8 to 38
So, above are a few examples of some excellent outerwear options for your furry companion.
Please be sure to stop by Doodle Dogs (whether in-store or online) and see our selection of warm, practical and crazy cute coats that we have to offer.
A warm pup is a happy pup and with these coats, you will see his or her tail wagging (literally!) and most probably be rewarded yourself with doggie kisses.
Happy walks !
- Corey White