WARNING: It's springtime!

WARNING: It's springtime!

Dogs can get sick from eating a variety of things during spring, just as they can during any other season. Often we blame the food but its ususaly not food related. Some common culprits that can make dogs sick in the springtime include:

1. Garbage: As the weather warms up and snow melts, people tend to spend more time outdoors, which can lead to more picnics, barbecues, and outdoor events. This can result in more food scraps and garbage being left outside, which can be tempting to dogs but can also make them sick. Be extra careful of TOXIC marijuana remains.

2. Garden chemicals: Many people use pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals in their gardens during the spring. These chemicals can be harmful to dogs if ingested or if the dog comes into contact with them.

3. Plants: Many plants begin to bloom in the spring, and some of them can be toxic to dogs if ingested. For example, lilies, daffodils, and tulips are all poisonous to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even organ failure in severe cases.

4. Wildlife: Spring is a time when many animals come out of hibernation or become more active, which can put dogs at risk of coming into contact with wildlife that could be carrying diseases or parasites. Also, rabbit poop is DELICIOUS to eat (and can upset the GI tract).

5. Stagnant Water: Snow melt, snow mold and sitting water can be injected and make dogs sick from a variety of parasites like worms and Giardia. Avoid sitting pools this time of year.

It's important to keep an eye on your dog's behavior and monitor what they are eating and coming into contact with during the springtime. If you suspect that your dog has ingested something toxic or is showing signs of illness, it's important to contact your veterinarian right away.

Some at home remedies to settle upset GI or stomach issues include: